St Teresa’s Parish celebrated its centenary in 2010. As part of the celebrations our parish centre was refurbished by Kernaghan Collen building contractors. This was a fantastic opportunity for our parish to start new activities for our parishioners. One activity which was restarted was the pensioners’ lunch club. When we started in October 2010 we had approx 15 ‘seniors’ who came for lunch and the company. This has developed over the last few years and we now have approx 40 ‘seniors’ attending each week. In the past year we have had a number of activities and events including:
- Flower arranging demonstration
- Flower arranging workshop
- St Patrick’s day card making workshop
- Volunteering for Tidy NI
- Took park in a sustainable energy survey with final year geography student from Queens University
- 6 week Boccia event
- Visit by Ugandan priest to talk about his culture
- Attended winter warmer events in local leisure centres
- Titanic Tour
- Belfast Blitz Tour
- Crumlin Road Gaol Tour
- Day trip to Newcastle
- Day trip to Omeath
- Day trip to Famine Village, Donegal
The lunch club is organised by a group of volunteer parishioners who come every week and enjoy the time with our ‘seniors’. We attend a local forum which gives us access to other groups and also opens up doors for us to seek grants with the assistance of Volunteer Now. We have received grants from Belfast City Council for activities and days out to places of interest.
The lunch is £3 each week – and we are told it is great value!!!!!!
We hope our lunch club will continue to grow and would encourage and invite other ‘seniors’ to come along and enjoy the company.
Pilgrimage to Fatima 5th – 12th September 2013
The pilgrimage this year was a joint group with St Teresa’s and Parish of Maghera, Newcastle. We had 35 in the group and the spiritual directors were Fr Brendan Hickland and Fr Jim Crudden. The programme included Mass in Fatima parish church where the 3 children were baptised and we were very fortunate that the sacristan opened the baptismal font and we renewed out baptismal vows. We visited Valinhos where Our Lady appeared to the 3 children on 19th August 1917, the Cabeco where the Angel appeared twice in 1916 and also the well at the bottom of Lucia’s garden where the Angel appeared on another occasion in 1916. We also visited the homes of the visionaries.
We had a full day tour to Aveiro, located on the shore of the atlantic ocean and is an industrial city with an important seaport. We celebrated Mass in the cathedral dedicated to St Dominic. We had a visit to a sweet factory where we had the chance to make and sample the delights of Portugal. We had a ‘cruise’ in a moliceiro (typical boat of Aveiro). The Sunday morning ceremonies in Fatima are open air in the Sanctuary Square with the Rosary in the Capelinha (little Chapel) and afterwards Our Lady’s statue is carried in a liturgical procession to the Altar in front of the Basilica where an Internation Mass is celebrated. The Mass concludes with the famour Adeua, or farewell procession, in which the statue of Our Lady if returned to the Capelhina through a sea of waving white handkerchiefs.
We follow the Hungarian Stations of the Cross in the path used by the 3 little shepherds in 1917. The stations finish at the Calvery scene built on top of the Chapel of St Stephen. We visited Santarem where we had Mass in the Church of the Eucharistic Miracle and visited the house of the lady of the Eucharistic Miracle. On day 6 the group had a half day tour to NAZARÉ which is one of the most popular seaside resorts near Fatima. En route to Nazaré we visited the Monastery of Batalha. In Nazaré we visited Sítio above the town to see the Shrine of Our Lady of Nazaré and the memorial chapel which marks the spot where Our Lady appeared in 1182.
Each evening we had the rosary and candle light procession at 9.30pm